Re: RAID & HDD failure recovery

Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
David G. Miller wrote:

[snip]

> I think the only data loss was during the period of time from when the
> drive failed until I was able to pull the ribbon cable.  Unfortunately,
> the system was still trying to write to the dead drive.

There should have been no data loss. If RAID works correctly, and you
have fewer failures than the array is designed to accept, there should
be no, emphasized no data loss.

[snip]

Mike
I agree and that probably would have been the case if the drive had cleanly died.  The problem was it died a slow death.

RAID kept trying to write data to the drive which is why I described the system as being "wonky."  It sort of worked but any I/O to/from the array that included the bad drive took a long time due to the drive errors.  I finally decided that trying to let the system synchronize would be worse than just "pulling the plug" so I forced a shutdown.  Luckily, it was a weekend and all that was lost were a few spams and some cron status e-mails.  I'd already checked that this was the case when decided to force the reboot.

Cheers,
Dave