Re: FC6 wireless -Network Manager

2006/11/17, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, antonio montagnani wrote:

> 2006/11/17, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, antonio montagnani wrote:
>>
>> > I can use my wap wireless network at home:
>> >
>> > 1) it is not very stable, even if distance is small, one floor.Signal
>> > is excellent under Windows, only 42% in Fedora, It often disconnect,
>> > then automatically it reconnects
>

>> Not sure what to suggest here.  What wireless card and what driver?
>>
>> > 2) if my router doesn't broadcast SSID, I can't connect to my network.
>>
>> Click "Connect to Other Wireless Network" in the drop-down menu and fill
>> in the SSID.
>
> I am running a D-link G650 with following drivers:
> madwifi-0.9.3-29_r1754.fc6.at
>
> I tried as you suggest for connecting to a network that is not
> broadcasting: it doesn't work, but after googling, it seems that has
> been reported in the Network Manager mailing list.
> This is quite annoying in a safe environment, where SSID is disabled
> (not here in the almost countryside... ;-)  )

I find it sometimes takes a few tries, possibly restarting NM in between.
But I've eventaully gotten it working (with ipw2200, though)

> I note also that after some disconnecting and automatic re-connecting,
> automatic re-connecting stops working
>
> I know that Network Manager people is working on these issues.

Track them on the network-manager list (http://mail.gnome.org/).  You
could also build NM from CVS with help from there.  I used to do this, but
haven't kept up recently.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

This is the output of iwconfig:

ath0      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"homenet"
         Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 00:17:9A:F4:CC:45
         Bit Rate:24 Mb/s   Tx-Power:18 dBm   Sensitivity=0/3
         Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
         Power Management:off
         Link Quality=34/94  Signal level=-59 dBm  Noise level=-93 dBm

any comment???
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag