Re: XP + samba + CUPS = MESS

On Friday 17 November 2006 17:03, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 21:42:24 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I rarely, but occasionally, need to print from XP.  One printer is
> > installed on an FC4 box and serves two other FC boxes plus a dual-boot
> > laptop.
> >
> > Following Tim's instructions I used system-config-printer to install a
> > raw queue.  Now, if I print direct to the raw queue I get a basic,
> > one-sided print, with few options.  If I attempt to print to the other
> > print-queues set up, which XP can see, the file leaves the laptop and is
> > somehow diverted to the raw queue.  Unfortunately, unlike the direct
> > print, it just sits there, doing nothing and bunging up the works.
>
> You might have already done this, but just in case...
> In /etc/cups/mimes.convs and /etc/cups/mimes.types, you may need to
> uncomment the lines related to raw printing.

Thanks, Akemi.  That was probably part of the problem at least.

The current situation is that, thanks to Tim's off-list help, I have the
printing working perfectly.  The problem is that neither he nor I are quite
sure why.

I uncommented this line (near the end of /etc/cups/mimes.convs
#application/octet-stream       application/vnd.cups-raw        0

but that didn't seem to make any difference.  OTOH, that doesn't mean that it
has no significance.

I changed the loglevel to debug2

and I emptied the error log ' >/var/log/cups/error_log'.

That is, I think, all we have done, yet it now works!  I find it hard to
believe that this would solve problems for someone else, but just in case I
thought I had better document it here.

Anne