Re: Fedora Coverstory in Linux Format

On 17/11/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Friday 17 November 2006 01:30, Craig White wrote:
> First off...I think that dual-boot computers are fairly inane except for
> those who really need the OS's on a laptop.

Many people do.

> People will always go to
> what they know and will boot Windows most of the time anyway.

If linux is right for them they will gradually change over.  I did.

As did I.  I originally dual-booted because we had
a university project which I could do from home
using linux. In fact...

> Secondly, I cringe at the notion of the self-inflicted wounds on this
> list by people who 'shrink' their Windows partition in order to install
> Linux.

Carefully using the right tools, there are no wounds, self-inflected or not.
I have done it and used both OSs on a laptop for 18 months.

I also started off by shrinking my Windows partition,
not everyone has spare hard discs lying about and
the space to put them in their machine.

> I guess I don't see the notion that this one 'trick' of dubious value
> becomes a determinant in overall value, but hey, that's just my opinion.

Uptake; if you don't start you'll never find out what's
actually good about Linux.  Live CDs are often weak
because they don't have the plugins-ugly type stuff
in them (mp3 support etc.) and you can't install it,
so people can't actually do anything with the live
system.  (Combined with the inability to write to
NTFS.)  A live CD can demo the system quite well,
but they're not great for day to day use.

--
imalone