Re: Fedora Coverstory in Linux Format

On Friday 17 November 2006 01:30, Craig White wrote:
> First off...I think that dual-boot computers are fairly inane except for
> those who really need the OS's on a laptop.

Many people do.

> People will always go to
> what they know and will boot Windows most of the time anyway.

If linux is right for them they will gradually change over.  I did.

> If they
> want to see what it looks like, Ubuntu has a very clever live CD.

Fine - if you want to see Ubuntu.  Be aware also that not all live CDs work on
all boxes/laptops without kernel parameters that a newbie would not know
about.

> Secondly, I cringe at the notion of the self-inflicted wounds on this
> list by people who 'shrink' their Windows partition in order to install
> Linux.

Carefully using the right tools, there are no wounds, self-inflected or not.
I have done it and used both OSs on a laptop for 18 months.

> I guess I don't see the notion that this one 'trick' of dubious value
> becomes a determinant in overall value, but hey, that's just my opinion.

Exactly.

Anne