Re: Unable to install bind-chroot on FC6

Steven Stromer <filter <at> stevenstromer.com> writes:

> Sorry to hijack, but I am experiencing the same problem. I have been
> installing FC6 on a bunch of servers, and did not elect to install BIND
> during the initial install. I installed bind-9.3.3rc3 (which appears to
> force the install of bind-chroot, without saying it will do so, though I
> do want the package...) and bind-libs. The service and directories seem
> to get installed and created, but none of the default configuration or
> zone files get installed. I've tried uninstalling, removing the
> directories, and reinstalling, and still the same result. Without
> named.conf, the service can not start. Installing caching-nameserver
> creates a caching-nameserver conf file and appropriate zone files, but I
> am trying to set up an authoritative name server. I could manually
> create all of the basic zones, etc. but this seems a bit more work than
> should be called for. I have configured DNS numerous times before on
> previous FC versions, so this isn't my first attempt at this process,
> but we all forget a step here or there over time  Am I missing
> something here? Mark, have you found a solution?

Hi

I had the same problem.  I found that if I ran system-config-bind and let the
gui open - it will not find the right files - and will create an initial set. At
that point I close the gui and now named.conf has been created. If you then edit
named.conf to your needs and run:
service named restart
Then it will work (though it cannot stop named and I think service named start
might not work, though re-start does.

Also I found it is then better to yum remove caching-nameserver once bind
is running to avoid conflicts.

HTH