Re: The Apocalypse is at hand!

Tom Horsley wrote:
On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 16:18:30 -0500
Tony Nelson <tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Previously, one had to type something (say, a "/") to get the text field.
I found that by accident, though I was looking for keyboard navs at the
time.

I only found / by getting fed up enough to go to the gnome bugzilla
to complain and finding the worlds longest bugzilla (I think there
were 195 replies the last time I looked) with everyone else in the
entire known universe complaining that the text field was gone
and all the gnome developers saying "well all you have to do is
type Ctrl-L or /", there isn't any need for a text field :-).

There is some setting in gconf-editor that allows the sane behavior back to text. I have the text working without needing to ctl-L or hit the / character first. I checked all I could figure until the thing started working correctly. I don't remember what it was code named. A simple text in browser on "No dumb icons" would have been clearer.

This nuisance with practically worthless icons vs. text should be one thing that is changed on the road away from dumb Novell ideas and the new partnership with the biggest pirate calling others the pirates.

Damned annoying feature. Why it is getting harder to configure items to a specific preference is getting to be a distraction also.

Jim

--
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.