how do i get glx extension?

I am trying to run a program on fc6 that uses OpenGL and
Freeglut and am receiving the following error message:

  freeglut (./cube): OpenGL GLX extension not supported by display ':1.0'

My machine is rather old and has an ATI Rage-II (?) video
card and xorg.conf says it is using the "ati" driver.
However, if I point the display to a Windows-2k machine
running the same hardware with Cygwin X, the program
runs and displays the expected image.

What do I need to do to to get it to display on fc6?
TIA for solutions or even hints :-)