Monitor Refresh Rate

In previous versions of Fedora (3 and 5, anyway) I could set my monitor to
use a vertical refresh rate of 85 Hz and have that take effect each time I
logged in.  Probably due to changes in Xorg that have received comment
elsewhere, I was getting 75 Hz each time.  I was able to work around this
by changing /etc/X11/xorg.conf to have a VertRefresh line of exactly and
only 85.0.  If I list 85.0,75.0,60.0 I'm given 75 Hz.  Previously a wide
range was listed and the useful rates were automatically detected and the
one I chose was used.  In case I ever need another rate, is there a better
way than just setting a single rate?
TonyN.:'    The Great Writ     <mailto:tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      '      is no more.             <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>