Re: ASUS P5B and FC 6 Install

On 11/16/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 04:27 -0600, Tom Browder wrote:
> 1.  Why can't we have a time zone selection for the US Americas as
> EST, CST, MST, or PST instead of the ridiculously long list of US
> cities?

EST, CST, etc., are not unique to America, and mean different things
elsewhere.  By themselves they're a worse than useless term, though
America/EST could be understandable.  But then are you going to list
America/EST+DST, or separately list the daylight savings?

In the US the selection should be "eastern," "central,", etc.

Listing countries and states does get around various issues, such as:

     * Specific locations that are not part of a general common zone.

You're correct, of course.

I do wonder how many times you need to make a choice from such lists
that it's actually a problem for you.

I'm not super complaining, but it seems that the US central time zone
is hard to find (and I have done LOTS of installations over the
years).  If you do it graphically, there are very few dots in the US
central time zone and it's hard for older eyes and hands to click on
the right dot.

Comparisons are odious as my late mother-in-law loved to say, but it's
much easier to set the time zone in Windows as well as Suse and other
distros.

Having said that, there could be better ways of selecting large groups
of, or most, packages.

That would be helpful.

Thanks for your thoughts.

-Tom