Re: FC6 X86_64 install failure(RAID)

Scott van Looy wrote:
> No idea. But I have the same mobo...I just set up the Nvidia HW raid and it
> worked fine on that. Why the preference for SW raid over HW raid? I'd have
> expected the HW stuff to be faster?

There's no such thing as Nvidia hardware raid. At boot time, it's done by
BIOS code running on the host CPU. In Windows, it's done by Windows
drivers running on the host CPU. In recent Fedora, it's done by dmraid
discovering the RAID structures on the hard drives and getting the
device-mapper part of the kernel to do the RAID. That, too, runs on the
host CPU.

I would expect any observed performance differences between "Nvidia raid"
and software raid to be down to precisely where data is placed on the
physical disks. (It can make a big difference for things like databases,
and commercial database administrators often seriously worry about such
things.)

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | You shouldn't worry, insanity of the right kind is really
aprilcottage.co.uk | rather pleasant, as my good friend Colin the llama would