Re: Fedora Coverstory in Linux Format

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 14:32 +0000, Ian Malone wrote:
> Boot up time, I'm sure Windows can go faster, you're just
> not able to run anything for two minutes after you've started...

That gave me a good chuckle, simply because it's so true.  You've got to
actually make something go faster, not just seem faster, for it to be of
any benefit.

Boot time is of quite some importance to me.  I frequently find I need
my computer running when I chat with clients over the phone, and I can
only stall for so long while waiting for the box to get ready.  I've got
FC5 on one that's ready in about 75 seconds (cold boot 60 seconds, to
desktop responding after login about 15 seconds later).  That's still a
bit slow for my needs, but beats the pants off the Windows boxes I've
played with.  I'd certainly like to get it down to the 13 seconds cold
boot time my old Amiga did, with just a few seconds more for the first
application.

The boot time has improved over prior releases.  There might be a few
more services that can be started concurrently, or let to continue
starting in the background while something else is fired up (perhaps not
waiting for CUPS before the next service is started, for example).

I've noticed how slow many things are to start up seems to relate to how
much configuration text files it needs to process.  Stripping out the
masses of comments in Apache or Samba, for examples, sped them up no
end.  Perhaps they really ought to minimise the configuration files and
put the documentation in the documentation.

I certainly notice how much slower it is to parse text configuration
files to binary ones.

> Of these numbers I'd say the only really interesting one is
> the five CDs.  It's never been clear in advance whether you
> need all five (almost certainly not) and which ones (who
> knows?) to do a relatively 'normal' installation.

It struck me that the bare minimum install ought to require only one
disc.  The last time I tried one of them, and it was quite a few
releases ago, I needed at least two discs.  I might have needed a third,
too, but I can't recall.

I read messages from the public lists.