Re: MPlayer doesn't play anything!

On Thursday 16 November 2006 15:07, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I have mplayer-1.0-0.66.rc1.lvn6 and mplayerplug-in-3.31-2.lvn6
> > installed, but for some reason I can't get it to play either audio or
> > video.  Xmms will play mp3s.  Xine will play videos.  Mplayer just sits
> > there.
> >
> > Is there some magic in getting this working?
>
> One of the libraries that mplayer links to causes SElinux to throw
> a fit.  The long term solution for the problem would be for the
> developers of the offending library to fix it securely as per
> recommendations of SElinux/glibc/etc. developers.  Some short
> term workarounds, both of which reduce the security provided
> by SElinux would be:
>
> 1) modify SElinux policy to permit the library to do what it is trying
>     to do, which SElinux considers to be insecure
>
> or
>
> 2) disable SElinux

Not guilty on this occasion, Mike.  I'm still not sure why, but after I
launched from the CLI it seems to be fine.  Mind you, I'm still finding
things that were very different in FC4.  I'm not sure why, but in FC4 I
played my DVDs with /dev/hdc, but now I have to put them into /dev/hdd.
Perhaps that's all that was wrong before, in fact it probably is.

Anne