RE: Fedora Coverstory in Linux Format

> > They also have this notable table
> >                         Ubuntu            Fedora
> > Size of Distro     :   1 CD              5 CD
> > Packages Available :   16000             6000
>
> I'm curious how Ubuntu can stuff > 3 times as many packages
> onto 1/5 the media?
>
> -- Rex

I'm certainly not a Linux expert, but I have been a RH/FC user since
RH8. A respected friend of mine recommends Ubuntu as his favorite
distro, so I tried installing it on an old PIII 450mHz machine.  I had a
terrible time getting it on.  The live CD wouldn't work right. I finally
got a minimal system on with only a text interface and then had to do
the apt-get thing to get the full system from the network. Even after
that, there was much that I was missing....compilers, development tools,
etc.  I find out later that my friend likes it for precisely the reason
that it is such a minimal install and he can then put on JUST what he
wants.

On the other hand, last week I went back and installed FC6 on that
machine and it "flew" right on.  It didn't fly in the sense of clock
time as the processor is pretty slow by today's standards, but
everything worked, I selected all the software components that I wanted
and bingo...Easy-Peasy.

I don't understand all the rave over Ubuntu, especially when it comes to
the less knowledgable user.  I couldn't be happier with the ease of
working with Fedora, in spite of it's "bleeding-edgeness".

Herb
Ps.  Kim, you just need to help your mom get things up and running.
After that first hour or so I'm sure she'd be just fine.