Re: Fedora Coverstory in Linux Format

On 16/11/06, Andy Green <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ian Malone wrote:

Hi Ian -

> Overall though I think they come out fairly even in the
> article, FC6's lower usability score (by two points,
> 7/10 vs 9/10 IIRC) is what brought it down overall.

It was 7/10 vs 10/10 (having the benefit of it sitting in front of me).

Having used Ubuntu 10/10 usability is a little hard to believe,
especially when the article comments about things like difficulty
getting compiz running.

They also have this notable table

                        Ubuntu            Fedora

Time to Boot up    :   41s               76s
Size of Distro     :   1 CD              5 CD
Packages Available :   16000             6000
Time to Install    :   15min             25min

I'll bet the crazy number of packages available for Ubuntu
vs Fedora is Universe vs Core.  What intrigues me is why
there are 5 CDs for Fedora and yet I still need to install
stuff from extras, what is on these 5 discs?  Is it the
entirety of Core?

Installation times aren't very interesting as long as they're
not measured in hours.  Probably um at work again.

Boot up time, I'm sure Windows can go faster, you're just
not able to run anything for two minutes after you've started...
You need a strict comparisson for boot-up times, are they
running the same services, is stuff being started after login
on one that isn't on the other etc.?

Of these numbers I'd say the only really interesting one is
the five CDs.  It's never been clear in advance whether you
need all five (almost certainly not) and which ones (who
knows?) to do a relatively 'normal' installation.

--
imalone