Re: FC-6 disappointment on AMD Athlon64 3200+ machine

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 12:35 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm afraid I don't think anaconda is a very reliable installation
> program.  I have about 50% expectation that Fedora will install
> without problem on a given computer

I tend to feel the same.  It does bomb out, typically after you've spent
quite a fair time getting to some stage, and you're left with going back
to the beginning and trying to use it in a slightly different way,
hoping that it won't crash, this time.

It's lethargic and very hungry for memory.  The installer actually
wanted more RAM to do a graphical install, than the system would need to
run, post-install.  Since much of that seems to relate to computing
package dependencies, you might think that someone familiar with
optimising databases might improve things.  Certainly, a fresh
installation, with a preset package selection (i.e. no customisations)
ought to be able to have a precomplied list of dependencies that don't
need second-checking.

I read messages from the public lists.