Re: MPlayer doesn't play anything!

On Thursday 16 November 2006 08:15, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 15 November 2006 23:10, John Wendel wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >> Run mplayer from the command line. If you don't see the problem, then
> >> post the output.
> >
> > /home/anne/mp3/david_essex/missing_you/13_a_winters_tale.mp3
> > bash: /home/anne/mp3/david_essex/missing_you/13_a_winters_tale.mp3:
> > Permission denied
>
> Are you sure that's what you wanted to run?  The output above looks
> like you tried to execute the mp3 file directly.
>
> Perhaps adding mplayer in front of the file name will give more
> relevant output. :-)

Oops - I did, when I had a typo.  Somehow I missed it out that time.  Yes, it
played, and what's more it played when I pointed to the file in konqueror and
said to open it with mplayer - which it wasn't doing before!

I did try opening mplayer then adding a track to the playlist, but it didn't
seem to read the playlist, instead it tried to open something I had pointed
it at earlier (an internet file).  I've also just checked it against a
home-recorded dvd.  That also didn't play before, but does now.  I wonder
whether starting it from the CLI has initialised something?  That's the only
explanation I can think of.

Anne