Re: install problem of coure size of partation

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 12:17 +0530, yogesh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> i installed fc3 on pc that have following conf.
>
> P.IV Processor
> 80 GB sata HDD
> 256 RAM

That is a very old version of Fedora, you ought to be able to run
something newer on a PC with those specs, unless there's a particular
compatibility problem.

> i make partation like this
> /         40 GB
> /boot     3000 MB
> /swap     1000 MB
> /var      Remaining(39 GB)

Boot really only needs to be something like 100 megs.  For some things
(BIOSs/motherboards) you mightn't be able to boot if the boot partition
isn't within a certain cylinder range.

I don't think that's your problem, though.  If you've booted, it's
worked.  It's not used after you've booted.

> i install personal desktop application with minimal installation
>
> but when i start it take a long time to boot
> and also after booting the speed goes down

You might want to post some logs (/var/log/dmesg, /var/log/messages).
Hostname resolution issues can make booting slow, at least.  SELinux
issues can make other things problematical.  But we need more details to
do anything other than make wild guesses.

> for example if i open any open office word document than it will take
> approximatly 3-4 Minute, same for other application like konqueror,
> firefox, i think the problem is due to the partation size

I doubt the partition sizes would be a problem.  There's probably
something else at fault.

OpenOffice is huge, and not having oodles of RAM to spare can make it
nasty to use.  But other things are less memory hungry.  Taking several
minutes to start is certainly much longer than I'd expect a struggling,
but adequate, system to take.  I can run OpenOffice on a much weaker
system than you detailed, and I'm only going to be waiting about half a
minute for it to get going.

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.