Re: One last question, resend.

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 23:12, Ed Greshko wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> FC6 ssystem, up2date as of last night.
>>
>> I tried to burn a Zud iso to a dvd last night with k3b, and after a
>> period of inactivity it reported a failure, and the disk was
>> untouched.
>
>And the failure it reported was?

"Failed"

>Are you using DVD+R or DVD-R media?

The exact same dvd+rw disk that I had used for test media the night
before, and a fresh dvd+r, both weren't touched.

>Are you using "Auto" for the writing speed?  Have you tried manually
>selecting a slower speed?

So far, auto has worked reasonably well here, and in some cases a slowdown
is ignored and it admonishes the attempt to slow it down.  But because it
failed before it got to the 'writing at x speed' phase, I have NDI if it
was going to burn the 4x+RW at 4x, or the 8x dvd+r at 8x.  I got the idea
it was a permislem, but thats just s SWAG.

The 8x +r is still in the drive, so lets see if I can get a more
meaningfull failure this time.

For starters, I see k3b is still using md5sum, should it not be using
sha1sum now?

I just set the writing mode to overwrite, I hadn't noticed that option
before (was auto), and the speed to 2x, but its still doing the md5sum.
And it overrode my speed, resetting it to 6x just now.

And it did take the 6x setting, showing a fifo buffer at 100% but no data
on the device buffer, and it appears to be working.  That disk was raw,
why should I have had to take the write mode out of auto and select
overwrite for a fresh disk thats not re-writable?  Odd to say the least.
Humm, when it reloaded to verify, the new media thing popped open, I hope
that didn't screw up the verify.  I closed it with the do nothing option
button. It appears the verify is running at about 2x the burn speed. Ahh,
no, it appears to have read the whole disk to a scratch file and is now
checking that md5sum, so it was the disk read that was showing 13 to
15mb/sec in the gkrellm disk section, the md5sum will limp along at its
usual snails pace. But, I got the "charge of the light brigade" at the
end.  A good burn. :)

So thats another gotcha semi-solved.

--
Cheers, Gene