Re: Unersolved issues with FC6?

item 7

readcd dev=ATAPI:1,0,0 -scanbus       assume you have an ATA drive

try same for cdrecord to find out your device

On 11/15/06, Knute Johnson <knute@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've still got a few problems with FC6 I'm hoping somebody can help
me clear up.

1) I get the message "usb 1-2: device descriptor read/all, erorr -71"
on startup.  My USB flash drives seem to work.

2) I can't enable "Desktop Effects".  Is some special hardware
required?

3) I get vertical lines when I use the backspace or right arrow over
text.  It shows up in Firefox text boxes and text in the main display
window.  It doesn't happen when I backspace over text in Open Office
Writer.

4) Minimized windows don't show up on the lower panel.  You have no
idea that you have a minimized window anywhere.  If I hit Alt-Esc
hidden windows will maximize.

5) Dual head doesn't work but I don't think it has ever.

6) I installed both Gnome and KDE because I wanted to see what KDE
looked like.  Now if I switch to KDE, it starts with a dialog "I've
Detected a Panel Already Running and Will Now Exit".  The Gnome
panels at the top and bottom of the screen are visible along with the
KDE panel at the bottom of the screen above the Gnome one.

7) cdrecord -scanbus returns the following message.  I did manage to
write the Zod DVD by right clicking on the file icon.

[root@knute knute]# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (cpu-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 J?rg
Schilling Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with
DVD support Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in
the original. Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla Note: The author of cdrecord
should not be bothered with problems in this version. cdrecord:
Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character. Cannot open SCSI
driver. cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
[root@knute knute]#

I'm serioiusly considering going back to FC5.  I've got it running on
two other machines with no problems and there were none of these
startup problems with it either.  I do think 6 is a little faster
booting and running.

Thanks very much,

--
Knute Johnson