Re: filtering IMAP by message body?

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 18:43 -0800, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> On 11/14/06, Justin Willmert <justin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > You could try going with procmail too.

Now you have piqued my curiousity -- I feel I should probably know this,
but amazingly, I have not needed to do this until recently, and it has
to do with managing my *wife's* mail. Could someone point me to a simple
tutorial?

> The server in question of run
> by my employer, and unfortunately its an Exchange server.

IIRC, IMAP support depends on the Exchange server version and the way it
is configured. What version Exchange are you using? Is it 5.5? There is
a quick way to find out if the IMAP is working as you expect -- see if
you can find someone running Outlook and connecting to the server via
IMAP (Note: for most domain setups, Outlook uses some Microsoft-specific
method of connecting, instead of IMAP or POP3), and test on their
system. There is a "virtual search folder" function in OL2003 (not sure
about earlier versions) and see if it works.

If it doesn't, then you may need to use procmail.

Evolution (the version that comes with FC6) has the search folder
function, but I can't test on my system because I have no IMAP server to
connect to. You may want to try using Evolution. IMAP is supposed to
keep all mail on the server, so there should be no danger in losing any
mail.

But, 4000 emails? Wow! I don't know how you can get through them even if
you sorted them out. Sounds like you may need some kind of AI engine
that automatically responds. ;)

Regards.