Re: Logging fsck at boot

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 12:31 -0200, Clodoaldo Pinto Neto wrote:
> I want to run fsck at boot and have it logged. I used shutdown -F -r
> and it worked but I can't find a log.
>
> The reason I want it is that the server is having this error:
> kernel: journal commit I/O error
>
> The server is only reachable by SSH. So I need to run fsck at boot and
> have it logged.
>
> How can I make shutdown -F -r tell fsck to correct eventual problems
> like in e2fsck -f -y ?
>
> Regards, Clodoaldo Pinto Neto

open /etc/rc.sysinit and lookout for the statements that check check for
a few options to run fsck.
Just before those lines put your own lines like

fsck -f -y /dev/devicename and redirect the output to some file.

Autofixing the filesystem can be dangerous. If there are large problems
with inodes, it may render you a unusable file system. That doesnt
happen too often but it happened to me once. So, It will be better to
have a backup before running such a command.
--
Thanx
Pritam Ghanghas