Re: Kernel PCI Scan Bug - No feedback 8 days after bug submittal (reposted with newlines)

Charles Butterfield wrote:
I've had what seems like a fairly serious kernel bug related to PCI
scanning open for over a week, with no hint that anybody has read it,
triaged it, etc.  Some feedback would sure be nice.  I'm posting this
on the email list, since I'm not really sure how else to get developers
to notice the formal bug report.

Your bug does sound a bit of a tough problem. I guess posting to the list does expose your problem to a wider audience. The problem interests me. It also has me curious as to why /proc/bus/pci and the devices file have different numbering schemes. the processes are the same amount as the nodes or whatever is in the directory. The entries however seem to be in different base numbering schemes. (octal, hexadecimal or whatever the scheme is.) I don't know how it works at all.

History:

In the kernel used by FC6, there is a PCI scan/enumeration bug that
manifests itself on some machines (like mine) as a mismatch between the
contents of /proc/bus/pci/devices (e.g. 14 devices) and the nodes in
/proc/bus/pci/xx/* (e.g. 15 devices).  Clearly this could cause numerous
problems.  In my case it causes Xorg to fail to find my video card.
YMMV

I had a one for one match in my devices file for each directory. The data is different than I would expect since the numbers except for zero do not seem to match one to one.

You have me stumped but curious. I have 10 devices under 00. One device under 01 (video card) and five devices under 02 (another video card being one of the elements)

This problem did not exist in the kernels used by FC5 (or at least did
not manifest on my system).

Have you tried to install a kernel from the FC5 timefram to see if it works as in the past?

Sorry not a lot of help.

Jim

Regards
-- Charlie B

--
I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't prove it.