Re: Webcam Logitech Quickcam Sphere

On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 02:15 +0100, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently bought a Logitech Quickcam Sphere but I don't succeeded to use it.
> I tried several modules (ov511, cpia, pwc, ...) but no one is loaded when I
> connect the webcam, nothing append when I load by hand (modprobe) the module
> when the web cam is connected.

For Logitech I use, quite successfully, the gspcav1-20060925 package
from:  http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html Right there at the top of
that page.

--{ Logitech 3 0x046d 0x08c2 QC Orbit/sphere MP   spca525a   Yes
mjpeg/yuyv linux-UVC }--

-is what is noted on that webpage's list of webcams, so you definitely
want gspcav, the older spca is deprecated. There you have it! Mon Dieu!!

I'm running the 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 kernel and had to "touch config.h"
in:  /usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6-i686/include/linux/
to make it compile.

Once that was done, it made like a dream, using the "gspca_build" script
included that compiled the module, installed and loaded it all in one
swoop. It doesn't get any better than that.

Then, crank up KDE kopete. Click on preferences and chose video. You
should see your smiling face looking back atcha. If it looks like Hell,
adjust the ring thing around the lens. It worked for me and I'm just
this side of drooling when it comes to making a tarball do anything.  I
also wisely entered "exclude = kernel* in /etc/yum.conf to keep it that
way!!! You can do eet Alain!

<kisses both of Alain's cheeks and, with a smart heel click, salutes
while shouting "Viva La France!" and "They are PROPERLY called French
Fries!"> Ric