Re: Onboard graphics woe

Steve Searle wrote:
I have a (very) old HP Brio that I have attempted to install FC6 on.  I
couldn't get the X window system to work at all, I suspect because of
onboard graphics dodgyness.  I tried to get round this by installing an
old ATI Mach64 PCI card, but still can't get it to work -
system-config-display just freeses with a garbled display when I try to
run it.

The onboard graphics cant be disabled in the bios or by a jumper, and I
suspect this is causing the problem.  lspci reports both cards as being
present, and looking at /etc/X11/xorh.conf this has references to the
onboard graphics card.

Does anyone know how I can disable it, or offer any other advice?

Thanks

Steve

Does the BIOS have a setting where you can change the primary and secondary card around? I have one system where this is possible. Also, some boards like the one I described disables the onboard when an AGP card is installed.

Still some BIOS versions allow you to initialize pci video over the integrated video.

Since you say that there is no jumper to configure, there should be some sort of BIOS option to disable, set it to secondary. Of course should and does are different animals.

Unless you try to perform a text install using xdriver=ati, I would not have a clue. Of course as Alan mentioned, you can find the pci ids and add them to the xorg.conf file with information you get from lspci regarding the video card IDs.

Jim

--
I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't prove it.