network configuration files

Hello,

I have a laptop with multiple docking stations (eth1: ports). I have been trying to make my network behave. I found that there are a set of files in /etc/sysconfig/networking that are hard links to other parts of the system. The problem is that if I delete and make a new /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, the files in networking are not updated.

Is there a document that describes what is in these directories, why they duplicate other files, and how they interface with NetworkManager etc. My network interfaces are assigned devices that are different from what is in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf and my entries in network-scripts.

Thanks in advance. I will RTFM if I can locate one:-) /usr/share/doc is a huge place to search.

don