Re: Feeling real grumpy !

Dylan Semler <dylan.semler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/14/06, William Case <billlinux@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks Alan;

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 19:48 +0000, Alan wrote:
> > The details are in earlier unanswered posts.  The point is:  I have ATI
> > Rage 128 Expert 200 video card.  It is only 5-6 years old.  There should
> > be an updated driver that works with it
>
> It should work reliably but it is not powerful enough to do useful flashy
> effects. Video cards have increased in performance dramatically since
> then.

At least that is an answer.  I gotta buy cheap, until I am ready for a
new computer (6 months to a year).  What kind of card can I get away
with, do you think?
I recently bought a GeForce 6200 for ~$30 from newegg--and i could have gone cheaper.  This should be plenty for anything that you might want to do, supports XvMC for hardware accelerated mpeg2 playback, and of course, works well with the flashy effects.  Mine is also passively cooled (quiet) and has VGA, DVI, S-vidio, Composite, and Component out ports.  Not too bad.

--
Dylan

The Geforce 6200 is a nice card. I tried one but it would not work with my
older motherboard very well (ABIT KT7A-RAID).  I had too many system
lockups when running anything 3D.  Also had troubles with an ATI 9250
card.

I have just replaced the 9250 with a Radeon 7000 card (AGP 4X 64MB)
and thus far it seems to work very well.  Have not tried it with Fedora 5 or 6.