keymaps and XDMCP

I'm trying to help some folks at a university setup a remote X login
via XDMCP.  Their old FC3 setup (which I convinced them to update to
FC6 for security reasons) had worked fine.  Now on fc6 a few of the
lesser used keyspresses no longer do the expected thing.  I believe
the application still has the correct mapping, because when they log
in from home via ssh, things still work exactly as before.  It is only
when they log in from the local ms-windows box running x-win via XDMCP
that things are broken.

   control-spacebar doesn't reliably make it to user application.
   Sometimes it pops up a window to switch chinese language support.
   Sometimes the application (emacs) does get the keypress and does
   set the mark.

   The Arrow keys aren't mapped to the expected actions.

It sounds like a keymap/keycode file somewhere either got lost in the
upgrade, but where?  Anyone here wrestle with this thing before?

-woflgang