Re: NVIDIA and DKMS

AG> One caveat with this is that the compilability of an out of tree
AG> module does not always last very long at the moment.  For example
AG> the config.h being deprecated has caused a lot of drivers to choke
AG> at make time.

While that's true, one nice thing is that this breakage is generally
known well ahead of time, and so new module packages that include
patches for the breakage can be pushed asynchronously with the new
release.  So a package could have been released a few weeks ago when
it was known that config.h was going away, even though 2.6.19 was far
from release then.

The non-DKMS scheme requires the actual released kernel packages to be
used to build the modules, so updated packages will always trail the
updated kernel.

The downside of the DKMS modules is that they require a development
environment.  Personally I don't understand why that is even an issue
given how we treat modules in general (as something to be avoided
whenever possible) but it's been stated as the single most important
reason why Fedora doesn't use DKMS-based kernel module packages.

 - J<