02
04
06
10
12

myscript.sh:
#!/bin/bash
echo "Enter a number from 1 - 10 to sed"
read i
NUM=`expr $i - 2`; printf %02d $NUM ; echo " "
echo "I will sed this " $NUM
read
sed '/$NUM/s/^#//' myconf > newconf

When you enter the number 10 you lose the decimal point after the expr
sum subtracts 2 it is still 08 but on the sed I think it uses 8 not 08
so the sed line fails
Is there another way to do this?

Any other methods would be welcome.
once you add `` ' `` single quote shell will not recognize the variable ,
I had this problem the only way I found is to use "sed -f" and
generate sed scripts on the run time on temp dir then run sed -f .

example
cat << EOS
sed statments
$NUM
sed statments
num.sed
sed -f num.sed
rm -f num.sed

hope this will help,I think there is smart way to do it.

Thanks

Paul