Re: Burning a backup to DVD-DL

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> Tony Nelson wrote:
>>> The problem is the size of root.star.  There is a 2 GiB limit for files in
>>> a ISO9660 filesystem (and the workaround reportedly does not work in
>>> general).  Probably star's tsize option is needed, to split the backup into
>>> 1 or 2 GiB "tapes".
>> Yeah, I'm trying it now with a 4GB and a 3.5GB files.  I'll let you know
>> in a couple of hours whether or not it worked....  I should be able to
>> cat them back together and read the .star table of contents.....
>
> Nope, no go.  K3B put them in the project, but I couldn't get them burned:
> 	I had a warning about file sizes > 2GB required UDF to work right.  OK,
> I checked the UDF structures box.
> 	Then it complained that more than 1/2 of the disk was being wasted.  I
> guess it still didn't like the 4GB file (exactly 4GB in size).
>
> So, now I'm re-splitting the file again, this time I'm using 2047MB
> chunks.  I should end up with 4 files, each < 2GB in size.  Its probably
> going to take long time to finish the split again (only 41MB in the
> first 10 minutes.   sigh)

Yeup, took more than 24 hours to run split on the file again.  The net
result was 4 files, and K3B is burning it to my Double Layer DVD+R right
now.  7.5GB total space in 4 files, all less then 2GB in size each.
This is also going to take a while, so I think I'll go to bed, and look
at the results tomorrow, and see if I can get the table of contents off
the DVD after "cat"ing the files back together.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx