Re: Nvidia installer does uninstall previous kernel driver ?

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 12:21 -0700, Kim Lux wrote:
> In my rant last week, I complained about how the Nvidia installer
> uninstalled the video driver for previous kernels.  Some people said
> this wasn't so.

I do not recall anyone saying that did not happen.
In fact, I explicitly told you it did with the nvidia provided
installer.

If you have been using the nvidia installer a lot (As I recall you said
over 2 years) then you should have known that was what happened because
it prompts you that way every time.  You should not have ranted about
the problems you had with the driver as a result of the kernel update.

Your rant is what triggered this extremely long thread.

> This morning I installed kernel 2849 via yum.  When I ran it, I was
> forced to build a new driver using the
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9629-pkg1.run installer.   This is the same
> installer that I used with my 2835 kernel last week.
>
> When I did the install this morning, I received the following. (From
> my /var/log/nvidia-installer.log)
>
> "> There appears to already be a driver installed on your system
> (version: 1.0-
>    9629).  As part of installing this driver (version: 1.0-9629), the
> existing
>    driver will be uninstalled.  Are you sure you want to continue? ('no'
> will a
>    bort installation) (Answer: Yes)"
>
> So it appears that one must un install the driver for the previous
> kernel to install a driver for the current kernel.  Just to be sure, I
> tried running kernel 2835 and X windows will not start for it.  So the
> previous driver does get un installed, even though the same installer is
> being used.

> This causes me a lot of grief.

Your grief with this is self inflicted.

Using the nvidia installer with the test kernels has this affect.
If you were sticking with the updates repo instead of updates-testing
then you could use the livna built nvidia drivers and avoid the
*self-inflicted* grief.

> If anyone knows of a work around for this problem, I'd love to hear it.

There is none that I know of.