Re: atexit: undefined symbol in 64bit

On Monday, Nov 13th 2006 at 12:41 -0800, quoth Ulrich Drepper:

=>Steven W. Orr wrote:
=>> There used to be a tool called mksymdb which ran over your whole system and
=>> created a dbm of all or your libraries. Then when you got an unresolved
=>> symbol error, you just ran locsym and it immediately told you what library
=>> or libraries defined the global.
=>
=>This is something from the days of static linking which should be of no real
=>interest these days anymore.  Nobody should be any status linking and all DSOs
=>should pull in their dependencies automatically.
=>
=>This specific problems wouldn't be adequately analyzed any way.  It would tell
=>you "link with libc_nonshared.a" but this is not the correct answer.  It is
=>the offending DSO which should have been linked with that archive, not the
=>program spewing out the error message.

You're right. I just assumed that DSOs were capable of being run through
nm. I see now that you can't. What tool does allow you to see the symbol
table of DSOs? How does the linker know what happens at linktime when you
link a .so?

If it sounds like I'm confused I guess I am.