Re: chicken and egg problem?

Jeffrey Ross wrote:
bought a new machine (yeah) its a dual core pentium D.  So I figured I'd
load the 64 bit version of Linux, great it works fine.  I attempt to start
some work and others like the Adobe Acrobat won't even run.  I got the
Flash player to install by modifying the install script to ignore the
hardware type.

Am I better off at this point just running the 32 bit version of Linux or
am I missing something here in how I load applications?

TIA, Jeff

The only real issues with 64-bit is that the common browser plugins (Flash being the biggest), don't work with 64-bit. You've got two options, either run the 32-bit binary browser for when you need the plugins, or there is an app called nspluginwrapper that will allow you to wrap 32-bit plgins into a 64-bit browser. Either option works pretty well, but I'm getting partial to the plugin wrapper.

As for running the 32-bit version of linux, you'd lose a ton of performance if you did, IMHO.

--
Ceterum censeo, Carthago delenda est.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator