Re: Burning a backup to DVD-DL

At 6:16 PM -0500 11/12/06, Ric Moore wrote:
>On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 16:56 -0500, Tony Nelson wrote:
>
>> The problem is the size of root.star.  There is a 2 GiB limit for files in
>> a ISO9660 filesystem (and the workaround reportedly does not work in
>> general).  Probably star's tsize option is needed, to split the backup into
>> 1 or 2 GiB "tapes".
>
>I did not know that. <bashes head on keyboard> I backed up some mission
>critical stuff to DvD and just let K3b do it's thing. It seemed happy,
>so I was happy. Everybody happy. I proceeded to do a fresh install.
>
>Then I tried to use those DvD's to restore and the system won't see
>them. Any clues on how to get the information off?? Or, am I hosed? Ric

Probably you are hosed, though not for file size (or K3B should have
complained).  First, see if data can be copied from the DVD.  Even firster,
make sure that data can be copied from some known good DVD.  I'd use dd:

    dd if=/dev/dvd of=/dev/null bs=2048 count=10000

or some such, using the proper device name for the DVD drive.

In some cases, it may help to finalize the disk.  This is voodoo; I don't
know why it would help.
TonyN.:'    The Great Writ     <mailto:tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      '      is no more.             <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>