Re: Burning a backup to DVD-DL

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 16:56 -0500, Tony Nelson wrote:
>
>> The problem is the size of root.star.  There is a 2 GiB limit for files in
>> a ISO9660 filesystem (and the workaround reportedly does not work in
>> general).  Probably star's tsize option is needed, to split the backup into
>> 1 or 2 GiB "tapes".
>
> I did not know that. <bashes head on keyboard> I backed up some mission
> critical stuff to DvD and just let K3b do it's thing. It seemed happy,
> so I was happy. Everybody happy. I proceeded to do a fresh install.
>
> Then I tried to use those DvD's to restore and the system won't see
> them. Any clues on how to get the information off?? Or, am I hosed? Ric

I thought I read something about growisofs ignoring the files that were
too big and *not* adding them to the ISO image.  (I burned an empty FS
that way on my first attempt with growisofs.)  If instead K3B burned the
disks (that would imply you added something successfully to the DVD
project before burning it) and you're seeing the problem of they are not
readable (ie, they won't mount), then you are hosed.  I guess it would
be bad of me to remind you to always verify the backed up data before
deleting it.  B^{  But, I must confess, I've been there and done that
myself on occasion.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx