Re: Burning a backup to DVD-DL

On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 21:18 -0500, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Tony Nelson wrote:
> > At 8:35 PM -0500 11/11/06, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> >> Hi Folks,
> >> 	I have a backup of my system in an "exustar" .star archive file.  Its
> >> 7.5 GB in size.  I want to write this file to a Double Layer DVD+R disk
> >> which claims to be 8.5GB in capacity.  I have tried growisofs, and K3B,
> >> and I can't seem to find the magic incantation which will allow me to ...
> >
> > Take a look at the growisofs page at
> > <http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/>.
>
> Been there, done that.  If the answer is there, its buried behind
> techno-speak and generalities.

No fooling. I got a pain behind my eyes in the first few paragraphs.
Just before my fresh install of FC6, I burned some DvD's with some
mission critical stuff. Like the old old joke, the backup was
successful, it was the restore that failed. Well, I can't read these for
zip. Is there anyway shy of inviting the NSA into my domain, to read
these looking-like club house coasters?

K3b wrote 'em but, being the abusive parent it is, refuses to
acknowledge the cybernetic issue from its cybernetic loins. No 'child'
support at all. Bastard.

I hope that there is some flu-shot equivalent, like loading some dvd-lib
to cure the problem, I am firmly in denial that I have made some
horrendous mistake, and I believe I am only in need of that wonder rpm
to fix everything. It's like looking for salvation while refusing to
look into the mirror. Someone please tell me it's not all gone. <sniffs
and boohoos> Ric