Re: Why I hate "info"

On 12Nov2006 14:39, AragonX <aragonx@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| <quote who="Timothy Murphy">
| > <flame>
| > Am I alone in thinking that the info program
| > encourages bad documentation?
| > <snip...>
| > </flame>
|
| I'm not sure if it does or not but I find it difficult to navigate info.
| I'm a man page nut but once it refers me to the info documentation, I'm in
| trouble.  Perhaps I just haven't taken enough time to learn info but man
| seems to work well enough...  All the fancy navigation just confuses my
| old brain.  It's kinda like emacs vs vi to me.  I'm just a simple vi man.
| Emacs has a lot of fancy features but I just want to get the job done.
|

| Down with info!  Man forever!!!  LOL

This is why I run my own man command, and it reads and converts info into
flat text and presents it in less (or whatever - $PAGER). You put the info
dirs in your $MANPATH and go. Here:

  http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/css/#key-doc

Observe:

  [/home/cameron]zoob*> man gzip
  1:  /usr/share/man/man1/gzip.1.gz
  2:  /usr/share/info/gzip.info.gz
  which entry?

Enter '2' and it presents the gzip info file as a single pageable thing.

I hate info too, along with the stupid "info to html in separate pages"
converters people stick on the web. One page people, one page!

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/