Re: Mounting USB devices with stable names

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

As far as mounting goes, you may want to give the file system
labels, and let HAL auto-mount them. The drive then gets mounted on

Then again, I might not :-)

Labels do not particularly appeal to me.

/media/<label> when it is plugged in. If there is more then one
partition on the drive, then each gets mounted off of /media. If the
partitions are not labeled, then HAL has some other rules it uses to
construct the names. The auto-mounting will normally make FAT file
systems owned by the user who "owns" the console. You can also turn
off auto-mounting in the GUI.

That sounds good. I like configurable, especially for mounting.
There are some real issues I have with my CDROMs auto starting
the CDCREATER stuff. I'd just as soon that nothing got auto-
mounte ever.

If you have special requirements for how the drive gets mounted,
then you can ether write HAL rules to cover it, or you can have udev
create a special device name or symlink based on the device. Vendor
ID and device ID are usually enough, but you can also use the serial
number.

That sounds good, also, though such may start to get complicated to
do initial setup.

I can give better advice if I know exactly what you are after. I am
not an expert on this. But I have played around enough that I can
probably point you in the right direction.

Thanks so much for the kind offer. At present, I probably need to
read more about udev before making any sort of try at it. Umm,
some questions which I might ask now...

[1] I suppose that there is a version for Fedora, no? (I use FC2.)
[2] I suppose that it "takes over" once installed, no?
[3] Is there an easy means to revert to the more conventional
system which is currently used on my machine?
[4] I suppose that the actual mount points are configurable, no?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.