Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 18:53 +0100, Ingemar Nilsson wrote:
> Kim Lux <lux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Yesterday I absentmindedly ran "yum update".  Stupid me, I didn't watch
> > it and apparently a new kernel got installed (2835).
>
> 2835? Do you have any testing repository enabled? I subscribe to the
> fedora-announce-list, but I haven't seen any mail about kernel 2835 (or any
> other kernel for that matter).

Yes.  http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/6/i386/

Check in tupdates.

> Which is why I use the prebuilt packages in Livna. I haven't touched the
> original nVidia driver package in years, and it has been a breeze.

Well, livna went off line a while ago, no ?  So can we always trust
someone else to build us a driver ?

Secondly, if you read my post, yum install kmod-nvidia didn't work and
lots of other people had trouble with it too.

> I understand if you didn't know about Livna, but now that you do, there is
> hardly any reason to do a manual installation. So in my own experience, the
> question of "ready or not" isn't as clear as you think.

Well, does livna have a module for kernel 2835 ? Nope.  So I needed to
do a manual installation.  Now if nvidia would release their code to the
kernel developers it could get built like ever other kernel module.  Can
you imaging what Linux hardware support would be like if we had to do
this for every piece of hardware on a PC ?

--
Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.