Re: Webcam choice

On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 17:54 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:

> >> I'd suggest changing the /usb/media in MODULE_INSTALLDIR to
> >> /media/video/usbvideo
> >>
> > OK - last hurdle, I hope:
> >
> > *** The "rpmbuild" program is not in your PATH!
> >
> > This is root, of course.  I've found
> >
> > usr/lib/librpmbuild-4.4.so
> >
> > so how do I append it to root's path?   I'm sure I should know this, but I
> > just can't remember.
>
> Um, what are you trying to do now? You don't need rpmbuild to build a
> kernel module. Have you moved on to something else now>
>
> Don't build RPMs as root anyway. You'll need the rpm-build package and
> then you can build them as a regular user.
> http://www.city-fan.org/tips/CreateRPMBuildEnvironment
>
> Paul.

It has occured to me that Anne may be experiencing a problem I had some
time ago with a different device.  The hub power supply was drooping.
In my case it happened just as I was firing up a new version of
software, so I wasn't too badly mislead, but the fact that the problem
arose just as I was working on the software led me down some pretty
dusty trails when all I really needed was a new "wall wart".  It was a
classic "Ohhh! C***! I can't believe it!  Days of work down the tubes!"
moment for me.

  I have since discovered that a few devices on USB will change their
current drains quite a bit depending on how the software sets them up
and abandons them.

Regards,
Les H