Re: [Fwd: Re: So Long, SuSE, We Hardly Knew Ye!]

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 11:04 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 14:53 +1030, Tim wrote:
> >
> >> One thing I think that either camp could do better is the naming of
> >> things in the menus.  Gnome's idea of putting vague "text editor"
> >> entries, doesn't make it easy to run a particular application, if you
> >> wanted to.  More so, if you have more than one installed.  KDE's idea of
> >> putting in an entry with just the application's name, which doesn't
> >> always give any hint to its function, is just as bad.  It'd be far more
> >> user-friendly to list things like "Gedit text editor," or "Gaim instant
> >> messenger," and so on.
> >
> > Ah, but you can... it's a choice in the system config thingie (Control
> > Center). You can display the description, the application name or both.
> > So you could have; "Gaim" or "Instant Messenger" or "Gaim Instant
> > Messenger" or "Instant Messenger Gaim". Depends on which toggle you
> > select.
>
> Except that doesn't work in some fedora-packaged apps that don't properly
> use Name vs GenericName (ie, they put what should be in GenericName in
> Name).  Offenders include (off the top of my head):
> Gaim (Instant Messenger)
> Evolution (Email, Contacts)
> Ekiga (IP Telephony)
> Openoffice (Word Processor, Spreadsheet, Presentation, etc...)
> planner (Project Management)
>
> In the past, when I've filed bugs to get that silliness fixed, they were
> closed WontFix, but let's see if we can actually make something happen this
> time around...

You can do this using the built-in menu editor, for yourself... which is
what I usually do, as I can enter the description to fit what I think it
is!  I enjoy this creative process! <grins> Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net