Re: mixing repositoies

Hi,

Em Sexta 03 Novembro 2006 19:30, Tom Horsley escreveu:
> > I have seen lots of admonitions about the dangers
> > of mixing packages from, for example, livna and
> > dries.  But I have not seen any clear technical
> > descriptions of exactly *what* (with examples) the
> > problem is!
>
> You download mplayer from livna, all is working. Then
> you add freshrpms to get something from there that
> livna doesn't have, and it starts updating your
> mplayer libraries. Pretty soon nothing is from any
> consistent source and your system is a mess.
>
> An updater that allowed package exclusions
> (or an "only these" inclusion list) on a
> per-repository basis would be a big help.
>
> Lacking that, I've often considered building my own
> local repository of just the stuff I want from other
> repos and using only that to update my system :-).

I use several repositories mixed with the protectbase yum plugin enabled to
protect the official repositories and livna, and the system has always been
stable this way.
I use: core, updates, extras, kde-redhat, livna, freshrpms, atrpms, dries,
dribble and planetccrma (this is not available for FC6 yet).
I setup core, updates, extras, kde-redhat and livna with "protect=1" so that
their packages can't be replaced by package in the other repositories. For
me, it has always worked well this way.

[]'s
Marcelo