Re: [Fwd: Re: So Long, SuSE, We Hardly Knew Ye!]

On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 12:06 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 19:54 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> > 1.) Dump Gnome, get with the KDE crowd with both feet. Make friends
> > there while they still feel alienated and betrayed.
>
> I've been biting my tongue over this thread, until now.  It all seems to
> be about the KDE zealots, mostly those in love with it, but a few
> against it.  Personally, I've never liked KDE, I've found it a right
> pain.  I don't think Gnome is super brilliant, but I prefer over KDE by
> a long chalk.  KDE isn't even installed on any of my systems, anymore.
>
> However...  The OS distributor ought to be making window manager
> agnostic systems.  It shouldn't be concentrating on one system to the
> detriment of the other.  Nor flailing about trying to be all things to
> everything, but nothing much good on any of them.
Couldn't that be achieved if BOTH camps, Gnome and KDE come to some sort
of compromise to "circle the wagons" and defend the camp against the
invaders?? Let's face it, the time has done arrived. M$ isn't going to
watch their market share erode to anyone, not even by a few percentage
points, as it's has never been in their corporate pathology to do so.
Would you agree, Tim?

I believe it would be a major coup for the entire Linux community if all
cylinders were firing in order, by both camps, to find a way to merge
into one strike force. THAT would be a major kick in the M$ pants. Front
page news. The crowd would go wild. If you have opinions on how this
could be done, I'd love to hear 'em. I have to admit, that recently KDE
kicker has gone CPU usage nuts. The one thing I have to say, regarding
KDE is that if you go to their site, there is a lot of software there
that we don't see here, yet. Maybe that stuff doesn't work well, or is
complete crap, but they do have many multimedia suites there to choose
from. To win the hearts and minds of the high school / college /
university crowd, setting up a webcam/ quick cam/ telephony / DvD
mastering / midi / Java / flash / ought not be a major production. If
Gnome and KDE could share resources and pool their talent into one
desktop, these issues would soon cease to be issues, I think. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net