Re: OT: The rubber sword of Damocles

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 00:19 -0500, Marc wrote:

> I'm not holding my breath that MS, Novell, or any other major company
> is doing anything at any time for overall benevolence to the world.  I
> have learned to be very wary of anything I see or hear.  This whole
> story just makes me think that some very underhanded deals have been
> made between the 2 companies.  MS is also probably stabbing Novell in
> the back, which is to be expected since they already did that by
> stealing NDS and making it AD, as well as other companies products as
> well (I digress).
>
> Probably the strategy is
>
> 1 convince them that interoperability is the 'wave of the future'
>
> 2 convince them that MS and Novell are the best 2 combinations around

Think State Contracts. A LOT of States use Novell. Now Novell could be
Suse Linux or Novell could become M$. If you were Bill Gates where would
you be pushing?

State Contracts managed by State Employees with a vested self interest
in keeping things just the way they are, with the tax payer footing a
bill large enough to choke a horse. With all of the license increases
you would want a market where the buyer doesn't mind just signing a
contract where it isn't out of their pocket. State and Federal
Contracts, GSA, the four military branches. All fat pigeons to be
roasted slowly to keep the juices in.

Just the announce alone was worth a fortune to Microsoft for bidding
purposes. Here in NC the folks I know in State IT were already
considering using SuSe/Novell where they had run Novell for their
servers. It's the "considering" part that gets M$ on edge. And now they
have done something to toss water on that fire, even if the marriage is
never consummated. Just showing up to the altar was good faith that the
swollen bride would be carried to some sort of threshold. <cackles> It's
the appearances that count, in such matters!

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net