Re: mail server send mail to yahoo bulk folder

Res wrote:

>>> sometimes it is justified, I have .cn .kr .tw and .br to name some
>>> blocked because of the extreme levels of spam.

Of course it is your choice to do that as an individual.

If you were to do that as an administrator for a company or an ISP as a
blanket policy it would be quite another matter.  You'd be making decisions
for other people based on your assumptions/observations/criteria.  Some
people may characterize that as a dictatorship.

I don't think it can be deemed as racist.  I say that since I'm an Caucasian
male from the United States living in Taiwan.  Maybe I would be feel
discriminated against based on my choice of location.  I happen to use a
.com domain but maybe you are blocking not based on the actual TLD but by IP
blocks allocated to ISPs in the countries you've mentioned.  So, you'd
probably block my email based on its location in Taiwan.

If you were to check the stats of spamming by country you'd discover that
the worst offender is indeed the United States.  Please have a look at
http://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/countries.lasso.  Taiwan ranks 8 below
those some other countries that you don't block...like Japan and Canada.  I
find it rather interesting that Canada ranks as high as it does with the
relatively small population.

Also have a look at http://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/networks.lasso.

So, based on your logic and the stats that I do gather from my spamd and
grey-list milters I would drastically reduce the amount of spam simpy by
blocking the .com domain and/or IPs allocated to ISP's located in the United
States.

Now, the fact that much of the spam is coming from compromised systems
should clue people into how much the 300 million folks in the US take
seriously the concept of computer security.  (Insert obvious poke at Bill
Gates here.)

So, if I were to go about using your rules for blocking spam I would get
very little email....I also would be cutting all my email ties with my
customers in South Korea and Japan.  I suppose the upside to that is, I
could go back to using FAX and the telephone company would be happy.  You're
not a plant from those money losing companies, are you?  :-)