Re: Running own mail server

On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 10:37:21AM +1000, Res wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, David Cary Hart wrote:
> >3. Consider Postfix rather than sendmail.
>
> why?
>  it amazes me the number of clowns who  spam weitsies software but never
> tell you what it does better, cuase  i cant find anything it does better,
> or anything at all thats worth me considering moving from sendmail
>
> if you are going to post crap like this, how about you justify your
> reasoning on it

1. Postfix is easier to configure than Sendmail. Sendmail's m4 files
   are easier than hacking sendmail.cf, but Postfix's config files
   are even easier.
2. Postfix is more modular than Sendmail, making it easier to write
   plugins, fix, debug, and maintain. This is probably more important
   to Postfix developers than users, but the modularity _also_ demonstrates
   a sounder overall design.
3. Postfix is much faster than Sendmail and the same hardware. This is
   best seen on large sites that process _lots_ of mail. Sendmail can
   peg a CPU when handling a mailing list where as Postfix, for the same
   load, has CPU to spare.
4. Postfix seems more secure than Sendmail. That is, Postfix has a better
   security record than Sendmail. Of course Postfix hasn't been around as
   long as Sendmail and thus might not have had enough time to accumulate
   the list of exploits that have hit Sendmail over the years. Perhaps in
   15 more years Postfix will catch up to Sendmail in this regard,

Kurt