Re: mixing repositoies

> I have seen lots of admonitions about the dangers
> of mixing packages from, for example, livna and
> dries.  But I have not seen any clear technical
> descriptions of exactly *what* (with examples) the
> problem is!

You download mplayer from livna, all is working. Then
you add freshrpms to get something from there that
livna doesn't have, and it starts updating your
mplayer libraries. Pretty soon nothing is from any
consistent source and your system is a mess.

An updater that allowed package exclusions
(or an "only these" inclusion list) on a
per-repository basis would be a big help.

Lacking that, I've often considered building my own
local repository of just the stuff I want from other
repos and using only that to update my system :-).