To upgrade or not to upgrade....

All,

I have just noticed that FC6 is available and the question is how does
the upgrade process work?  More specifically, is there anything that
sets out which directories are not affected by the upgrade process.  I
have a number of applications installed in /opt and other places and
wondered if these would be affected. I admit that I probably haven't
handled that process as well as I could have in all cases, but that is
due to my own lack of understanding sometimes.  I assume that /home will
be unaffected, but it is not clear if the files located in some of these
other locations that are not part of the Fedora distribution will be
disturbed.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Herb