Re: Java on FC6

Hi Dustin,

My script does not but automate JPackage steps for building JPackage-compatible packages for Sun Java.

I like to use GCJ, but some applications I need still requires Sun Java. I think Fedora should come with a menu item next to "Add/Remove packages" that run scripts like mine to download and install some non-free applications like Sun Java, Flash, RealPlayer and media codecs, making life easier for users that need (or just like) those apps. It should not be required to dig into mailing lists and web pages to install such software.

[]s, Fernando Lozano

> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/flozano/archive/2006/08/afraid_of_tryin.html
I allways use JPackage conventions with Fedora and RHEL, and my script
from the last link works fine with FC6. It just doesn't adds the Java
plugin to Firefox. But I heard FC6 can do that using alternatives...

[]s, Fernando Lozano
Thanks for reporting that your script works fine on Fc6. It should
make getting a JPackage compliant install of Sun's Java on Fedora just
about as easy as the Ubuntu folks can (they have it in their repo as
they are a bit more liberal in what licenses they accept).